Do you have a quick question about writing? Need to know more about how to use our services? We’re happy to help and connect you with resources in real time.
- Click on your center to see when the virtual walk-in is available on your campus.
- If you try to join the chat outside of the available hours, you will receive a message saying that the “host has not started the meeting.” This means that the virtual walk-in is not currently staffed and you’ll need to try back later. Remember, you can also reach us by email and phone.
How to Use Virtual Walk-In Hours
- Click on the link to your campus location to speak to a consultant through Zoom without having to reserve an appointment.
- You will need to use your full name or sign in to your University of Mississippi Zoom account when joining the chat.
- Because this is a “walk-in” service, it is not guaranteed that a consultant will be able to meet with you. There may be others in line ahead of you. If someone else is already using the chat, you may have to wait in the Zoom waiting room until the consultant is free. The consultant will communicate with you about an approximate wait time so that you can plan accordingly.
- This service is meant to be a place for you to get quick answers to your questions. Generally, a conversation in the chat will last about 15 minutes or less. If your needs warrant something more in depth, the consultant may connect you with another staff member who is free or assist you in creating an appointment at a later time.
- There are some questions that our consultants may not be able to answer. For example, very specific questions about an assignment or course may need to be discussed with your professor or advisor.
Code of Conduct
- Students should behave in a professional and courteous manner. Anyone who violates this may have their Writing Center privileges revoked. Consultants may end or leave sessions if a student is violating our policies or the UM Creed.
- You must be wearing appropriate attire when using the chat. Make sure you are dressed in a manner that would be considered appropriate to attend class.
- Please be prepared when you enter the chat. You can provide a short piece of writing, an assignment description, or a list of questions to talk through. Even though this is not an appointment based service, it is important that you bring ideas for what you want to cover. Our consultants respect your time, so please respect theirs.
- The quick question service is not a “drop off” service. In other words, you must be present and participate in the chat consistently or the consultant may end your session.
- Do not count on a walk-in appointment for a last-minute concern. Always plan your time accordingly and give yourself plenty of space between an appointment and an assignment due date.
- Please see our Policies page for more information.
If you are having trouble using this service, please contact your campus location.