The Graduate Writing Center will be presenting six (virtual) workshops for graduate writers on the following three themes:
- APA Formatting and Citation Style
- Endgame – Finalizing Manuscripts
- Proofreading and Revision Strategies
Please sign up below to ensure your space for these upcoming workshops. Please make sure you choose the specific workshop theme and the time/date you want to attend; you are welcome to attend multiple workshops.
APA Formatting and Citation Style
Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 1pm
Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 1pm
This workshop will include coverage of some basic APA formatting rules for research papers and references, as well as the changes from the 6th to the 7th edition of the handbook. There will also be time for Q&A.
Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 1pm
Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 1pm
The Graduate Writing Center (GWC), in collaboration with the Graduate School, presents a free workshop for graduate writers finishing a dissertation, thesis, or other end-of-term manuscript. There will be tips on final manuscript preparation (including proofreading and formatting tips) as well as time for Q&A.
Monday, April 12, 2021 at 1pm
Monday, April 19, 2021 at 1pm
This workshop will focus mainly on strategies for writers to employ for effective proofreading and revision with time for Q&A.
Graduate Writing Groups
- The Graduate Writing Center coordinates Graduate Writing Groups (GWG). Groups usually meet biweekly, based on member (and coordinator) availability. GWGs are student-led and based on peer review; they are not instructional. Group members are accountable for participation and providing the content for their meetings.
- Our 2020 GWG coordinator is Marques Kitchen. Marques is a second year Master’s student in History. He attended the Johns Hopkins University in Washington, D.C. for a Master’s in Government with a focus on China Policy. In 2018, he completed a Master’s degree in International Relations at the University of International Business and Economics (对外经贸大学) in Beijing, China, where he was a US-Sino Cooperation Scholarship student. He came to the University of Mississippi in 2019. He is committed to promoting access to reading and writing.
- If you are interested in joining a GWG, please email Marques at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information.
The Graduate Writing Center offers various workshops every semester, and specific workshops can be requested by faculty or organizations. Click here to fill out our workshop request form.
Popular, recurring workshops include: APA, Professional Application Documents, Teaching and/or Diversity Philosophy Statements, General Writing Tips, and Endgame (for graduating students).